12 June 2006

How does your garden grow?

A lot of blogs are prompting me to "brag" about the beautiful garden I'm being blessed with. It is pretty empty right now, but I have grand plans for it. Here's what I do have so far, though.

I have 3 tomato plants out, and 2 have a couple of pretty yellow blossoms. I have an heirloom Wisconsin 45, a Plum Dandy, and a Viva. The latter 2 are plum tomatoes.

My squash has about 5 leaves. I have some Hubbard squash, Little Jack pumpkins, and Rond de Nice zucchini planted, too, but they have yet to come up.

I've picked peas twice now, and have almost a cup of peas (they're a dwarf variety, so cute!). I am thinking that I need to buy 2 packets of seed next year, though, because it's just not enough for this pea-eating bunch around here.

My herbs are taking off. The lovage is nearly as tall as I am, and flowering. I have 6 volunteer cilantro plants that have really taken off. I'm really excited about this because I absolutely adore cilantro. My thyme, chives, oregano, sage, and tarragon are doing well, too. I also have a volunteer chamomile that came up in a pot. I'm excited because we love chamomile tea. I recently planted some rosemary that is really healthy and happy. I have a couple of herbs that aren't planted yet, too, but maybe I can do that tomorrow (and perhaps even take pics!). They are lemon balm, which I will be planting in a pot since it is so invasive otherwise, and a basil so I can put it fresh into sauces.

Today, I also planted 2 new scented geraniums and a tiny lavendar plant. I also planted some seeds for teeny roses from Renee's Garden, called Angel Wings - hopefully these will grow because Teflon has decided that he needs to taste the dirt in their pot. These will go into our front flower bed with some lavender (maybe a blend of Munstead, Hidcote, and fern-leaf). There's a lot of work there - digging out the existing soil, adding some topsoil and peat moss, getting lavender that will overwinter, and getting the roses to grow. I think it will be worth it, though. I am considering adding some Enfant de Nice carnations too. I just love the smell of old-fashioned carnations! Just thinking about the beautiful colors and smells that will come from out front! I'll need to get some nice furniture for my front porch so we can enjoy it even better. ;) I'm getting some ideas about the rest of the landscaping, too. I have seeds from Renee's garden on my "covet" list for this: Fragrant Stock, Forget-me-nots, Alyssum, Sweet William, Sweet peas (for hanging baskets in spring), Nigella, and a wildflower from the Pacific NW called Clarkia.

I also want to build a berm on the low side of our yard and plant a cypress or two. Then, I plan on putting hostas, painted ferns, lily of the valley, and perhaps some of the above flowers who are on the covet list.

I could go on and on, but it might get boring for you. ;)

2 Comments:

At 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not boring in the least! I'm very impressed. I haven't put anything in my veg or herb raised beds since BT(before twins) Thankfully my perinnals are doing great this year so it's not a total loss.
Please talk about your garden all you want, and I'll garden vicariously through you! :)
Maybe next Spring I'll have my act together. Not.
BTW thank you for the encouraging verse you left on my blog

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Wow - you gardening types, I envy you. It's just not in me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home