24 May 2006

WFMW May 24

Getting more mileage out of your clothes.

Let's face it, even moms get holes in the knees of their favorite pants. I can't tell you how many pairs of pants have done this traitorous thing to me in the past 5 years. Normally, my first course of action is to make shorts out of them, cutting them off above the hole. Now, however, I've taken to making them into capris. You might ask, "Capris? With the holes in the knees?!?"

This is where it gets creative and works for me. Cut them off right at the top of the hole(s) or just slightly above. Then, cut strips of a contrasting fabric (this is where the remnant section of JoAnn's is fabulous) as wide as you need it to be to make capris (I usually like my capris between mid-calf and my knee, so I'll usually make my band 6-8 inches, minus the hem). Sew the strip together to make a band of fabric the same width as your pant leg and hem it before putting it on the pants. Then, attach the band of contrast fabric to the leg of your pants and voila! You have some really cute capris! If you want to get really creative, you can buy about 1/2 yard of fabric from the fabric store, instead of the remnants, and use the leftover scraps to applique patches up the legs, on the pockets, make a kerchief or even a belt. I've even considered (haven't done it yet) tacking on some rickrack where the pants and the contrast fabric meet for even more cute flair.

Now, this can also be done for little girls pants, but I don't recommend this course of action for boys. They're not so appreciative, nor are their dads. :-P Their pants are better suited for shorts or very boyish-print patches on the knees until the poor knees can't take anymore patching, in which case they're probably ready for the trash anyway, not a makeover into shorts.

10 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing!

I think this is my first time to your blog! Feel free to visit my blog too (you will need to 1. Register for FREE on the right side of the page first though before you can post a comment…this personalizes everybody’s visits a bit more). Once you are registered you can 2. click on “Leave Your Comments” next to any blog entry and then click 3. “Post Reply” on the green page that should come up for you (then login with your username and password and type your comments in the big message box and click submit). I hope to have you visit my site soon and I’ll try to visit your’s often as well!



God Bless! J

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh I hate holes in the knees! With three boys, we get lots of them (especially when you are full of hand-me-downs!) But, I got a hole in the knee of my own favorite pants recently- I'm always crawling around on the floor, too... good tip!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Nettie said...

What a cute idea! (Because my knees aren't necessarily my best feature.) I wish you had a picture!

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I have four girls and they are always getting holes in their knees too! While it is cool for the oldest, (in high school), not so cool for the younger ones. I think I could use this for them. Thanks!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Mom2fur said...

You can use those cutoff jeans for boys to make bathing suits, too! (And I agree--the pretty ribbons around the hem just doesn't work for sons as well as it does for daughters, LOL!)

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Aunt Murry said...

My mother use to patch the back of the knees of my brothers NEW jeans to help them last longer. It really helped.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

This is such a great idea! Especially right now where everything is all about embellishments!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Katherine@Raising Five said...

That sounds so cute! I have 4 girls, so this has definite possibilities. I'm bookmarking you!

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a neat idea! Once I find a pair of pants that fits around the waist and hips, I always hate to have to give them up. And of course, I always have a ton of fabric around that I bought years ago and never did anything with. :-)

 
At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful idea--you should post a picture of one of your creations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home