01 June 2006

1. What is your life verse?
Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

2. Give a bit of your testimony. (fuller testimony here)
You may or may not know that I come against pentecostalism & charismania pretty harshly. The reason I do so has a lot to do with my background. My parents are ones who are looking in the clouds for Jesus to come, and think that he will return during Rosh Hoshanah of this year or next (been saying that for about 3 years now). As a child, I was always afraid that when I couldn't find them, they had been raptured & I was left behind because I was such a bad person. Let me tell you the damage that this mindset creates can take many many years to heal. As a result of this, I still tend to be more of a "pan-millenialist" - no matter what happens, it will all pan out in the end (pun intended, but I'm serious, too). The most freeing moment that I can remember, however, was the dawning realization that, yes, I am indeed really really bad. I deserve to be "left behind." But, that because of Christ's redeeming work on the cross, I am saved from the fires of Hell and guaranteed eternal life. The reason why it is so freeing is that I now know that I have to rely on Jesus to get me into heaven. I won't be "left behind" as long as I remain in Him. That realization has done more to help heal the damage than anything else, and I praise God that He showed it to me!!

3. Do you have a favorite preacher?
I have a lot of favorites. I really enjoy listening to our pastor. I also like James McDonald, Ravi Zacharias, and Alistair Begg.

4. What's the best Bible study you've ever done?
The Elizabeth George Philippians study we did in the fall at church.

5. What do you feel God's calling is on your life?
"To glorify God and by enjoying Him forever." (From John Piper's book, Desiring God) I love the slight change in semantics that Piper puts forth. Somehow, it reminds me to take an active role in enjoying and glorifying God.

6 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Thank you for sharing. Your testimony points to the importance of knowing and understanding God's Word as the source of truth.

Elizabeth George and John Piper are two of my favorites also, ever helping me to understand more just how God wants to use my life to glorify him, and why.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Thanks for opening up about your past. Your testimony affirms what I beleive as well. Your answer to number 5. reminds me of Revelation 4.11

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Danielle said...

Kings James Version
Revelation 4.11Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Amy from Ezekiel's Garden said...

Good point, Danielle! I like that verse, too! :)

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Amy, for doing this. Your answers encourage me. I love Ravi Zacharias too; just bought my husband one of his books for our anniversary next week!

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger onceuponatandem said...

Amy:

I would be honored to consider you and your life verse for my next book.

I've contracted with the good folks at Tyndale House Publishers to do a book for their popular One Year line called:

The One Year Life Verse Devotional
365 stories of remarkable people and the scripture that changed their lives

The book already includes 365 stories from people like Josh McDowell, Chuck Colson, James & Shirley Dobson, Elisabeth Elliot, Rebecca St. James, Patrick Morley, Steve Brown, Skip Heitzig, Randy Alcorn, Kevin Leman, Jerry Jenkins, Corrie ten Boom, Mother Teresa, Oswald Chambers, Augustine, martyrs, athletes, artists, ministry leaders, biblical characters and even some everyday heroes.

On each page is a short bold headline, a scripture verse, a brief bio, and two paragraphs (@ 220 words) that explain how this verse has impacted the life of the individual.

The easiest way to expedite this project is to sneak over to www.oneyearlifeverse.com and just go from there. There are sample covers and pages. And easy to complete boxes.

My deadline for gathering stories is really about December 1. And feel free to pass this opportunity to be published on to any worthy Christian colleagues.

E-mail back with questions. Or call me any time. 630-377-7899.

Keep at it,

Jay K. Payleitner
radio producer and author of
Once Upon a Tandem, Simon & Schuster
40 Days to Your Best Life for Men, Cook Communications
The One Year Life Verse Devotional, Tyndale House

www.oneyearlifeverse.com


630.377.7899
629 N. Tyler Road St. Charles, IL 60174

 

Post a Comment

<< Home