10 May 2006

Works For Me Wednesday

Another natural health "works for me" tip!

Instead of using Immodium AD or Kaopectate, we use ground nutmeg in our house for diarrhea relief. Up until the great discovery of empty gelatin capsules, we would just take a swig of water, hurry up and pour about 1/4 tsp of nutmeg down, and chase it with copious amounts of water. That does work; in fact, it worked for us for many years. Now, however, we just fill a handful of capsules every once in a while and use those. It takes about 1-2 capsules per dosage. Sometimes, we have to take 2-3 doses (after each trip to the bathroom) to see any relief, but it usually works after the first dose, with maybe one "accident" after the dose. What I like about this is that it doesn't leave you with the exact opposite problem the next day or week. Nutmeg is evidently an antispasmodic, which is why it works - it calms your colon down. I have read that adding cinnamon can also be beneficial, and have used it a couple of times, but I'm not sure to what degree it helped.

5 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger Blackeyedsue said...

I am kind of a natural junkie. I love this! I think I will use it. For the opposite problem with little kids and constipation, we use Dr. Christopher's bowel tonic---love that guy and his tonics!

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Pam said...

This is great! Where do you find your empty capsules?

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Interesting. Does it work if you take it with egg nog?

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Amy from Ezekiel's Garden said...

Never thought to try it that way, Nettie!! My sis puts it in a spoon of applesauce or apple butter.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Homemanager said...

When I was growing up, my family used the "brat" diet for diarrhea.
Banana, Rice, Applesause and Toast. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home