14 June 2006

WFMW June 21

Trying to teach kids their phone numbers can be a challenge. I had not been able to get my 5 year old to do so. That is, until I came upon this little trick. We took our home phone number and put it to music (Old McDonald). He now gleefully sings it whenever you ask. The 3 year old almost has it down, too. To avoid confusion, we put HOH's and my cell numbers to different tunes, and they are gradually learning these as well. In time, I will get creative enough to put our address to music, as they don't know this either, but for now, we're working on significant phone numbers.

Of course, the song trick is not limited to phone numbers, or even addresses. We have also used it successfully for a little ditty to remind the boys that all of need to strive to please God not ourselves. There's only two options on the shelf: pleasing God or pleasing self. That is the saying, and we made up our own song and words to elaborate on it (not just me - Bubba helped too). But, that saying is for another post.

7 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Katherine@Raising Five said...

That is such a great idea! I'm going to try that with my four year old (almost five). She will love this!

Thanks also for visiting my site today. Love the Jelly Bellies in the dispenser idea. You sound like such a great mom!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

What a good idea! (I wonder if it would help me with memorizing scripture?!)

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Cool idea!
I got my little guy to learn our number by using refrigerator-magnet numbers. He would "read" them every time he passed the fridge.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Mama Duck said...

Great idea!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Amy from Ezekiel's Garden said...

Thanks, Katherine! :)

Lynda - it does work for scripture, too. We did Hebrews 12:2 to the tune of "Are You Sleeping?" for a 3yo's Bible School class. "Let us fix, let us fix, our eyes on Jesus, eyes on Jesus. Who endured the cross, who endured the cross. Hebrews 12:2, Hebrews 12:2"

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a simple but SCHMART idea!!! I have one child that learns completely different than the others. THANKS for the awesome idea!!!

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Robin said...

What a great idea! I think we'll start this today...as well as about 4 other WFMW ideas! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home