29 March 2006

Today was somewhat of a rough day. I'm not sure why, unless it is just from the cabin fever that seems to strike in late winter/early spring. At any rate, the afternoon started to go much better. I was able to take a nap, a rarity. Then, I had plenty of time to start one of our favorite suppers, which we don't get often simply from the amount of cooking to be done. We were going to have Indian - complete with cilantro chutney and idlis (puffy rice pancakes). I decided to pressure cook the chickpeas for our curried chickpeas, but guessed at the time, since it wasn't written in my cooker manual. I started the rice, and began preparations for the chutney while the beans came up to pressure. The rice was done a little before the beans, and it turned out wonderful. I do believe it was the best I've ever cooked rice in my life. Consistency that even HOH raved over!

The beans, however. Let me tell you about those beans. I have enough very soft chickpeas to keep us in hummus for 2 months! Good thing I was planning hummus next week, eh? I cooked them too long. So, it ruined my plans for dinner tonight. And, I worked hard at this because cooking Indian takes a while (which is why I usually use canned chickpeas for this). I was so tempted to complain or be mad or throw myself a good tantrum. But, I didn't. I couldn't. I just kept thinking of how grateful I am that HOH makes good money and we can afford to eat out on occasions like this. At least I didn't have to wrack my brain to try to come up with something for my hungry kids to eat out of the mess I made. It is all a matter of perspective. Yes, I'm disappointed in my supper that wasn't, but I can buy a can of chickpeas at the store and start over again in a few days. At least I have my perfect rice already made. And I'm really looking forward to the chutney and idlis. And, HOH's fix for our supper dilemma was excellent, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home