05 July 2006

WFMW - Jul 5

Here it is, time for another Works for Me Wednesday, and even though I had intended to post something other just my WFMW tip this week, somehow time slipped past me.

On to my WFMW tip. My family is nuts over eggs. We go through about 4 dz eggs each week for our family of 5. That's a lot of eggs!!! One thing we do that uses up so many eggs is to eat egg salad sandwiches. I'll hard-boil at least 1 dozen and them make them into egg salad. While I'm still perfecting the whole hard-boiling process, I do have a good tip for mashing the eggs. Sometimes, I use my pastry blender. It allows me to get my eggs as fine or as coarse as I want. Another tool that I use more frequently is my potato masher. Its holes are perfect for the consistency we want in our egg salad. Because it is plastic, cleanup is a breeze too - just a run under some really hot water, a drop of soap swished around, and a rinse.

That's my WFMW tip!!

BTW, my family secret for our standard egg salad is to add a small spoonful of miracle whip to our mayonnaise for a hint of sweet/tangy. We also jazz it up on occasion. Mashing in 2 avocadoes with 3 eggs and 2 Tbsp of mayo, 2 Tbsp of lemon juice (keeps the avocadoes greener), and some finely chopped onion or chives makes a great dip. For a southwestern flair, some ground cumin is good in egg salad (with or without the avocadoes). We also like to put curry powder in it sometimes.

8 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those sound good! I've got chickens and sometimes TOO many eggs. I can't wait to try avocado in them along with the mayo/sd combo. Thanks for the tip!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yummy. Pam

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Carol said...

We put chicken in our egg salad. Or is it the other way around? Anyway, we add grapes and pecan pieces, too. Some onion, salt, pepper, celery seed...

Just another recipe. I'll have to try yours, too!

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

I like the pastry blender idea! Thanks for sharing!

I posted my first WFMW. Stop by and take a peek. :)

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Mom2fur said...

Oh, I bet avocado is delicious in egg salad! I'm definitely going to try that one. Thanks!

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Man - I LOVE egg salad! Gotta go make me some, now!

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Donnetta said...

OH Yum... I never thought of avacado's with it. That sound deliciously wonderful!!

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought of using a potato masher - great - thanks.

I often use chopped tomatoes with eggs, I prefer it seasoned with salt and pepper - absolutely addicted to it in the summer. Another one is finely chopped onions with eggs - yummy. I've also done chopped peppers - either jalapeno or paprika - both are delicious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home