26 June 2006

Let's Get Real Monday - shoes

It's been a while since I participated, but I love shoes, so I had to join in!

Since getting married and having kids, my feet have grown. I went from a 9.5-10 to a 10.5-11. So, my shoe collection has greatly diminished. Now, although I adore shoes, I am much more selective, especially because I prefer to have supportive shoes that are comfortable. I tried to wear a pair of heels about 2 months ago, and was miserable for 2 weeks afterward because I'm not used to wearing them anymore.



My main pair of shoes is a basic New Balance shoe - 336. I love these shoes!

My other pair of favorite shoes is a pair of Men's Skechers. I can't find a pic of them online anywhere, so they must be discontinued, much to my chagrin. They are dark brown leather clogs. I got them when I was largely pregnant with Teflon and I needed a pair of slip-on shoes that I wouldn't fall off of like I do my Eastland clogs. After searching high and low in the women's section, I could only find a few (Clark's) that I liked, but they were out of my price range. When I went to retrieve DH, I stumbled across those shoes, and fell in love - comfort, price, and fit. I still wear them a lot. In the winter, I pair them up with my wonderful handknitted socks and stay quite toasty. In summer, I just slip them on and go!

Next comes my dressier and summery shoes.


I like to wear these, only mine are in a tan nubuck.

I also have a pair of black dress shoes that I got when pregnant with Timex - Strictly comfort brand from JC Penney. I coveted the Mary Janes, but we didn't have the extra money to buy that style, so they are very sensible flats with a funky toe, and I love wearing them to church in winter. My only real pair of sandals are a pair of Earth sandals that I got in Massachussetts 2 1/2 years ago. I was wearing DH's Birk's at the time, but he ruined his shoes in the ocean and took them back, leaving me unshod. We passed by a shoe store that had their sandals on clearance, so I got them for a steal - $20. While I don't wear them often, I still love them and the way they make my feet feel. They are thongs, but have this fringe on them, and that fringe keeps them from making my feet look like skis.

I have two other favorite pairs of shoes, but can't wear either of them. One was a pair of Rockport walking shoes that I got before going to college. I wore them until they stank so bad that DH demanded their removal from our family. I have never found another pair like them, which is too bad. The other pair is my Birks, which I wore the soles out on them. I kept them for the longest time, thinking I'd eventually resole, but now my feet are just a smidge too long, so I eventually threw them away too.

So, that's me. I love shoes, especially sturdy, sensible, "granola" shoes (that happen to cost an arm and a leg!). I like my feet to feel supported and comfortable. It's ironic that my dress style reflects this. I prefer to wear khakis, jeans, or jean skirts (capris and shorts in summer) with t-shirts, sweat-shirts, or casual sweaters. If I wear a dress, it is often compatible with my clogs or black flats.

3 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Blogger Randi said...

It is kind of funny that "granola shoes" are so expensive!

I like your summery shoes--very cute!

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

I liked this post - maybe because I love shoes, too! Maybe I'll have to post a pic of my favorite black patent leather Birks!

 
At 12:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Granola shoes. That is a great description. I too usually find shoes that I can wear with skirts when I feel compelled to wear them, but I am a shorts gal all year round.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home