28 June 2006

WFMW June 28

It's that time again. Works for Me Wednesday from Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer. So far, I've gleaned many wonderful tips from some really neat ladies. I hope I've been as helpful to others as they have from me.

This week, we're going into my kitchen. I've learned a few things over the years that help me with food prep. One of those is to buy meat on sale in bulk and store it in my freezer. I usually have 1 turkey, 2 chickens, bags of drumsticks, bags of boneless/skinless breasts or thighs, packages of chicken parts (usually thighs) and multiple packages of beef - steaks, ground beef, stew meat, etc. We usually buy 1/4 beef and keep that in the fridge, but in between beeves, I stock up with the store has a meat sale. This week, I've expanded on that because the store had a stupendous sale on ground round - $1.89/lb. Now, I have 5 lbs worth of meatballs in my freezer, which ended up being about 160 meatballs. I love meatballs. They are so versatile. You can make chili with them, spaghetti, meatball soup, and meatballs with rice. Those are just the top 4 recipes we use them for.

Here's what I did. I took my biggest bowl - a Tupperware "Thatsabowl" - and put my beef in it. In the meantime, I had cleaned about 4 carrots and cut them into chunks. I also cleaned about 4-5 stalks of celery and cut them into chunks, and 1 onion peeled and quartered, plus 4 garlic cloves. I stuck these into my food processor and made a slurry. I added a bunch of quick oats to the beef, probably 3-4 cups, and probably 3 Tbsp salt. When the veggies were all liquefied, I poured them in as well. Then, I mixed and mixed. When it was all incorporated well, I shaped a meatloaf from about 2 lbs of the meat and left the other 5 for the meatballs. Then I spread out some wax paper on cookie sheets and grabbed my small scooper thing from Pampered Chef (about 1" dia). I just started plopping beef onto the sheets and covered with more wax paper when done. It was a cinch, especially since I didn't have to make the meatballs by hand, and the cleanup was easy as well. When the meatballs are frozen, I'll just stick them in a freezer bag and pull out as I need. The cookie sheets are covered with wax paper, so I don't have much cleanup on them either.

That's my tip, and it works for me!

6 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

I usually have meatballs in the freezer, too - but mine are storebought, from Trader Joes!!

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds great.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Mom2fur said...

My mil taught me that adding water to your meat ball mix makes more tender meat balls--but your vegetable slurry would be plenty of liquid! Also, I've found that mixing ground pork tenderloin (I always buy it BOGO and freeze it) with the meat adds a little extra moisture and flavor. Oh...that's a pork t-loin that you've ground at home. I wish they sold the stuff ready-made, LOL!

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Beck said...

Super smart - and meatballs are so great to have on hand, aren't they?

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Donnetta said...

So when's dinner?? :-) That sounds fabulously tasty!!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Thanks so much for sharing the *how to* about meatballs. I'll give that a try. YUMMY!

Shelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home